You think you may be pregnant – unexpectedly. You might be thinking, “I can’t imagine having a baby right now. It’s not the right time”. That’s a common reaction to an unplanned pregnancy. There may be lots of reasons to feel uncertain, so let’s consider one of your options: the option of parenting.
Every situation is unique, and the thought of being a new parent can seem overwhelming. Single parenting can be even scarier because you might feel like you would never be able to raise a baby on your own. But we are here to help empower you to be an awesome parent no matter what your situation is!
Let’s look at some great things about parenting:
- Once women give birth, many can’t imagine living without their child and love their child more than they would have thought possible.
- You might be concerned about the reaction of your family and friends. More times than not though, your support system will come to accept the pregnancy. If it’s your parents, we find that once their grandchild is born, they are a great support to both the mom and the child.
- Your child is unique, and every person has something that they will contribute to this world. Many famous people were raised by single parents! (Kanye West, Kate Beckinsale, Barack Obama, Halle Berry, Jon Stewart, Christina Aguilera, Jay-Z, Eva Mendes, Eddie Murphy, Demi Moore, Keanu Reeves, Mariah Carey just to name a few.)
- Is your baby’s dad in the picture? Depending upon your circumstance, the baby’s father may or may not be involved in the pregnancy decision. If the father of the baby is not involved, there is support available to help you in the short term, while you’re making long-term plans on parenting.
There are also many local and national resources available to help single parents.
The Federal Housing Authority offers FHA home loans to first-time buyers or people who haven’t owned a home for three years. It requires only a 3.5 percent down payment and doesn’t have income-eligibility requirements. Minimum credit scores of 580 are required for a 96.5 percent loan and 500 for a 90 percent loan.
The federal Pell Grant gives single moms free tuition assistance to attend any college in the country.
- Life of a Single Mom Ministry has all sorts of resources for utility discounts, mentoring services, legal aid, housing, transportation, technology, eye exams, surgeries, and on and on.
Here at the PCC, we believe in educating and equipping our clients who have decided to carry their pregnancy to term. Part of our ongoing support is our Earn While You Learn FREE parenting class program. Participants who attend our classes earn “baby bucks” and can shop at our Baby Boutique for items such as maternity and baby clothing, diapers, supplies, and larger essential items.
If you choose parenting, even if you are a single parent you don’t have to do it alone. There is hope and help for your parenting journey!